Ah January, it’s you again! It’s that time of year that so many of us hate. The festivities of Christmas and New Year are a distant memory, the weather is rubbish and money is in short supply. In fact, tomorrow is blue Monday, officially the most depressing day of the year apparently! It’s easy to feel fed up when you have all that stacked against you! It doesn’t have to be all doom and gloom though and I’ve decided this year to embrace January in all its cold, dark glory and make the best of it! So without further ado, here are my reasons to be cheerful.
- The sun is setting a little bit later every day! The shortest day has been and gone more than three weeks ago and optimistic souls like myself can definitely see the days getting longer, hurrah.
- Winter walks are wonderful. I love getting out with Archie my wee dog, on crisp Winter days. No matter how fed up I am, being outdoors always makes me feel better. Having a dog means I’m out whatever the weather and to be honest even being out on wet, windy days has its plus points, such as getting home and warming up with a nice hot cup of tea and of course obligatory cake/ toast/ chocolate.
- It’s the perfect time of year to embrace hygge. Lazy days at home with a book and your hot drink of choice are a fabulous way to recharge your batteries and you don’t have to feel guilty about staying indoors and hibernating like you might at other times of the year!
- It’s also that time of year where you don’t feel you have to be out and about and be a social butterfly. You can legitimately stay at home and read LOTS!
- Similarly, days when you’re stuck indoors mean plenty of time for nice crafty projects! My house move means time has been in short supply but as I’m finally getting there (for now anyway) I now have time to dust my sewing machine off and make something pretty, yay,
- It’s time to get those holiday brochures out. There’s never a better time than cold, dark, snowy January to dream of sunnier climes and having fun in the sun! I’ve just spent a very enjoyable few days browsing holidays as I managed to get tickets to see U2!! In Barcelona!! Oh happy days!! So I’m off to Barcelona for a week in July and I CAN’T WAIT!! It’s amazing how much having something to look forward to can give you a boost when you’re feeling fed up. Oh and apologies for the excessive use of exclamation marks but I am excited!!
So these are a few of my reasons to be cheerful in January! And if none of these work for you, well, at least January comes but once a year! How do you cheer yourself up on gloomy Winter days?